Posted in , , ,

Eschewing Leather

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:11 PM


I wore all black today in part because I'm intrigued by Dotty's use of neutrals (though she tends toward lighter shades) and would like to try doing more of that, and in part because a Very Serious Outfit was appropriate for the start of Yom Kippur tonight.

For the Kol Nidre service, I changed into a pair of cheap fabric flats. A number of people in the congregation, including our rabbi, wore sneakers with their nice clothes because you're not supposed to wear leather shoes on Yom Kippur. The prohibition is about denying oneself the luxury and comfort of leather but also because it's incongruous to seek forgiveness for wrongdoing while wearing the skin of another animal. I don't cover my hair or even wear a headcovering of any sort at the synagogue, but this is one instance where dressing according to religious dictates feels right to me.

Do any of you choose your clothes based on religious or ethical reasons?

pic name pic name

Black peasant blouse, Old Navy
Black tank top, Target
Black pencil skirt, The Limited (thrifted)
Tassel loafers, Cole Haan (thrifted)

Leave Comment