Posted in , , , , , , ,

EBEW: Back to School

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:30 PM


The schools here in Maine actually started last week or the week before, but what the hell. The year's still new, so here's an outfit reminiscent of a Catholic school uniform.

The concept of starting school after Labor Day was alien to me, growing up in Florida. There's not much in the way of seasons, so I guess the people setting the calendars didn't bother coordinating them to anything. In order to fit in as much instruction as possible before the standardized tests in the spring, school districts kept advancing the start date into late summer, until a couple of years after I graduated, my brother began classes on July 31. Then the state passed a law saying that school couldn't start more than x number of days before Labor Day.

I liked some things about those old calendars, which had us out of school by Memorial Day. And when I was taking mostly AP classes, they mostly excused us from working any more after the AP exams the first two weeks of May. If we'd still had a month or so left of school at that point, I doubt we would have been allowed to slack off. On the other hand, the start of the school year also meant the start of marching band, and there are few things more unpleasant than practicing formations from 2 to 4 p.m. two afternoons a week in Florida's August heat.

pic name pic name

Houndstooth dress, Target (thrifted)
Blue shirt, New York & Co. (thrifted)
Necklace, White House Black Market (eBay)
Pumps, Nine West (consignment)

EBEW - Back To School

Comments

Desiree

I love dresses like this. A great thrift find, indeed, and very collegiate.

Rebekah

A Maine girl, awesome! I'm stopping in from EBEW; I love the look of a shirt under a dress. So cool that you live in Maine, too. My husband's family is from Maine, so we're there once or twice a year. Up until very recently, my sister-in-law lived in Portland also. It seems like a pretty cool city from the couple times I've visited there!

//Katie

love it!!

does anyone ever tell you that you resemble Anne Hathaway? :)

newest GFC blog follower right here!

http://loverlysheblog.com

Susan @ Thoroughly ME

Rebekah - I just moved to Maine last year, but I fell in love with it immediately. This state is awesome, especially Portland!

Katie - Yeah, every once in awhile. In fact, I heard it yesterday from a guy at the auto shop when I took my car to get inspected.

Mrs. Dork

Love this take on a school outfit. If only uniforms had been so chic back in the day!

Rachel Lynne

I am loving the layering and the houndstooth! Such a great look!

xoxo,
Rachel

Leave Comment