Posted in , , , , , , , ,

"Men Love Scarves"

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:30 PM


I love "Mad Men." A lot. On Sunday night, I sat on my living room floor to get closer to the TV, and I was in thrall. I've sampled many new shows since the last season of "Mad Men" and found only one ("Deadwood," on DVD) that belongs in the TV pantheon alongside the story of Don, Peggy, Joan and Pete. Welcome back, SCDP.

So this morning, I decided to put together a "Mad Men"-inspired outfit. It's not literal at all — you would not have seen something wearing this in the 1960s. I turned to Tom and Lorenzo's fabulous "Mad Style" series, in which they analyzed four seasons of Janie Bryant's costumes (by coincidence, she also costumed "Deadwood"), and I found that I could create a quasi-Joan look.

Joan loves sheath dresses in florals or saturated solids. I don't have anything like that, so I went with a pencil skirt instead. She tends to pair pencil skirts with tie-neck blouses, another item I don't own. One of the TLo posts, however, reminded me of a piece of advice Joan gave Peggy in the pilot: "Men love scarves." I don't know if that's true, but I do know that Joan loves scarves, brooches and matchy accessories. So I pulled out all this navy and white, accented with red, and fastened my scarf the way Joan did in an episode in season four. Now I just need some secretaries to boss around.

pic name pic name

White sweater, Gap
Polka dot scarf, thrifted
Circle brooch, vintage
Navy pencil skirt, thrifted vintage
Navy tights, Target
Gray boots, Miz Mooz Journey

Leave Comment