Posted in , , , ,

Pants Week

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:11 PM


I struggle with pants. I mean, I have the whole one-leg-at-a-time thing down pat, but I find it hard to construct interesting outfits around them. Pants that are appropriate for work just don't come in the same variety of shapes, colors and patterns as work-appropriate dresses and skirts. You also don't get the benefit of showcasing colorful tights or eye-catching shoes.

That puts most of the metaphorical weight of an outfit on the top. It's a little easier when the weather allows for layering, and of course necklaces and other jewelry help, but I just don't have many tops interesting enough to overcome pants' inherent boringness. And considering that my work wardrobe used to consist almost entirely of a series of interchangeable tops and pairs of pants, I feel like I'm regressing when I put on a pants-based outfit.

Then there's the issue of flattering the figure. It seems that a lot of my pants pictures make me appear to have a paunch, which I can assure you is not at all the case. In fact, I'm frustrated by the fact that I've lost several pounds in the last couple of months, throwing off the fit of most of my bottoms. These pants are safety-pinned to keep them from sagging too badly. I don't want to go out and buy new clothes because I'm hoping to regain the weight soon.

In any case, after I unintentionally wore four skirts and a dress last week, I resolved to make this pants week. Apologies in advance if it's a snooze.

pic name pic name

Green sweater, Target (thrifted)
Salmon shirt, New York & Co.
Pinstriped pants, LOFT
Pumps, Calvin Klein (eBay)

Leave Comment