Posted in , , , , , , , , ,

The World in Black and White

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:14 PM


I love a good button-front shirt. At this time of year, I have to exert considerable effort not to wear a button-front layered under a sweater every other day. In this case, I failed: I wore the combination two work days in a row. It's warm and elevates a simple sweater from something casual to something I can wear to a meeting about corporate developments at our company.

As I write this I'm watching the returns from the New Hampshire primary. As the spouse of a New Hampshirite, I feel like both an insider and an outsider to the process. We spent significant time in the state during the 2008 primaries, and last night J and I had dinner in Manchester with both our mothers to celebrate my mom's birthday.

The restaurant filled up late with politicos and media types wrapping up the day, including Cokie Roberts at the table behind us. Across the street, the C-SPAN bus took up half a block's parking. Occupiers protested outside the Gingrich office. Ron Paul supporters shouted in a parking lot. A man walked past with a galosh* on his head. New Hampshire wouldn't get half the attention without the first-in-the-nation primary, but I would guess people there are happy they can put this all behind them for another four years.



White sweater, Gap
Pinstriped shirt, Target
Black necklace, thrifted
Elastic belt, thrifted
Polka dot skirt, Ann Taylor (eBay)
Black tights, We Love Colors
Mary Janes, Classified

Black and white, previously:

pic name pic name


Black + White | Everybody, Everywear


* Yes, galosh is a legit singular noun.

Comments

Cassi

What a cute outfit. I never wear button-ups under sweaters anymore-- just under cardis, usually. I'll have to try it out again this week. You've inspired me :) I love how the pearls dress it up a bit.

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage

I love button ups under sweaters on other people, I am too short for it to work with me. Lovely!

thoroughlyME

Thanks, ladies! It's true that layering on your top half creates bulk that can overwhelm a small frame (I'm a shortie, too); I find that belting the sweater-shirt combo or tucking it into a high-waisted skirt can really help.

Cathy

This comment has been removed by the author.

Leave Comment