Posted in

More Beets!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:30 AM

Didn't I say we had more beets on the way through our winter CSA? Yes, I did. So what did I do when our next bag of vegetables proved me right?


That's right: I made breakfast.

No, I won't claim these are the tastiest smoothies ever. But I think I made a pretty creative use of a vegetable that's far from a favorite. The rough "recipe" here:
- raw beets, peeled and cut into large chunks, approximately 2/3 c
- frozen strawberries (I picked mine in Cape Elizabeth in June), 1 heaping cup
- enough milk to give the right consistency, maybe 3/4 c
- a small spoonful of simple syrup for an extra hint of sweetness

There actually are a number of beet smoothie recipes scattered around the web, many of them at raw vegan sites. They use a lot of additional vegetables, juices and other ingredients I'm too lazy to throw in or even procure. But a simple breakfast is a good thing, right? So drink up!

Leave Comment