Posted in

Thrift Finds for December

Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:35 PM

I mostly shopped for other people this month. But I took a few minutes during a long day of holiday shopping* to try on a few things for myself. Here's what I came away with:

Talbots plaid wool skirt, Goodwill Portland (Forest Ave), $5
 This skirt was was brand new; the tags still attached to it said it went for $68 retail. It was slightly too big, but that was no problem. Because it's a wrap skirt, all I had to do to take it in was to move a few buttons, which is well within my limited sewing capabilities.


Style & Co. (Macy's) cable-knit sweater, Goodwill Portland, $5
This sweater is nothing special, but gray is my most versatile neutral, so I suspect I'll get lots of use out of it, though it's a tad too short to wear untucked with pants.


SDII skirt, Goodwill Portland, $5
I have never heard of this brand before, but it seems to be a cheap juniors brand. I don't mind that — it's a really cute skirt! But you won't see me wear it for a few more months. Between the lightweight cotton fabric and the white background, it's hardly appropriate for winter wear.

I also stopped into a couple of stores in the past week but didn't find anything worth buying. I plan to spend some extra time shopping in the next week or two in the hope that people have cleaned out closets and drawers to make room for gifts they just received. Wish me luck!

* I went back to the Forest Ave Goodwill a few days later to return some shirts that didn't fit J, and the striped sweater was gone! I hope I get to see the buyer wearing it, maybe with some black cigarette pants, dark denim (skinny or wide-legged) or winter white.

Leave Comment