Posted in , , , , , , , , , , ,

Friday in Philly

Friday, December 2, 2011 9:44 PM



Shirt, New York & Co. (thrifted)
Blazer, Banana Republic (thrifted)
Belt, thrifted
Jeans, Celebrity Pink Jeans (consignment)
Boots, Aerosoles
Purse, thrifted

We are in Philadelphia this weekend for the bat mitzvah celebration of J's youngest first cousin. It's not until tomorrow night, but J and I flew in a day early to play tourist. While we were waiting to take the train from the airport into Center City, J was kind enough to snap my outfit shots for today. It was so easy and made me a little envious of the ladies who have dedicated photographers. J is taller than my tripod, however, so I look more like my shorty self here. You are seeing my only purse, a super-cheapo thing — no tag or label — I picked up at Goodwill at the beginning of the summer.

We had only enough time for a couple of hours at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, starting with this obligatory photo outside:


This was my first time at the museum, which was one of the best art museums I've ever visited (up there with the Louvre, MOMA and the National Gallery). I really enjoyed the late-19th century European art and the Contemporary and Modern wing. My favorite, though, was the Asian art, especially the galleries with entire structure or parts thereof, such as the Japanese Tea Ceremony complex or the ceiling from the Hall of Great Wisdom at a Chinese Buddhist monastery. I loved the sense of context and felt I was seeing the art the way it was intended. An altarpiece sitting in a museum just doesn't have the same impact it has in a cathedral.

I also was especially taken with some of the terrifying imagery in the Hindu and Buddhist art. There was a Hindu vision of hell with monkeys eating people's faces, and then this lady:


That's Vajrayogini, a dakini from Tibetan Buddhism. She's dancing on corpses, wearing a necklace of skulls and drinking "from a foaming skull cup of blood," according to the sign next to the sculpture. Soooo cool, and yet, NIGHTMARES.

Leave Comment