Posted in

My Toy-o-ta

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:02 PM

Remember that ad campaign Toyota ran several years ago spoofing on "My Sharona"? Imagine that when you read this post's title.


My little Corolla may not be the world's most attractive car, but I love it. And today it passed a very special milestone:


OK, I'll admit this wasn't the safest trick to pull on my morning commute, but there weren't any cars around me, so I took a quick snap.

I bought my 2004 Corolla from Hertz in August 2005, just a couple of days before going back to Atlanta for sophomore year. It had 30,250 miles on it. I paid cash, using savings from my restaurant job and from graduation gifts the year before. I was just a little short, so my parents kicked in about $1,000 to cover the sales tax and warranty. And boy, has it been nice not having a car payment.

For five-plus years I consistently averaged 10,000 miles a year, despite changes in circumstances. With my commute I'm now really packing on the miles — I'm on track to drive 30,000 miles in a year. But the car got a clean bill of health at inspection two months ago, and the only thing I've had to do that wasn't routine maintenance was replacing the oxygen sensor two years ago. I'm going to run this thing into the ground.

Leave Comment